Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Here's the skinny



The time has finally come. I can no longer avoid it. I've spent the past 6 years battling my weight and I have finally won- sort of.


It's been a challenge too. I have always been thin. When I graduated from high school I weighed in at a whopping 110 lbs, and I'm 5'6". Even after 14 years I still only average about 120lbs. What's wrong with this you say? Well, for one thing, I'm not built like a runway model. I've been an athlete all my life- gymnastics, ballet and track- and was, at one point in my life, a body builder. I'm built lean and very strong. In fact, I could out "bench" most of the men I knew at that time- 190 lbs to be exact. Not too shabby for someone who weighs 110lbs! Putting weight on and keeping it on has always been a struggle.


The news lately has got me thinking. What if I were a celebrity. Would the paparazzi hound me for being too thin? Granted there have been times in my life where I looked in a mirror and thought "holy crap you look sick!" And I even had a parent- principle meeting in high school about whether or not I was anorexic-- My mom laughed her way out of his office, offering to have him pay our grocery bills for a while. People have pretty much always assumed that I was trying to be thin. That there simply must be something wrong with me.


Well, at least until recently. The combination of being in a great relationship and being in executive management instead of in a branch (I work for a bank), have made my life much, much less stressful. So, after trying for long time to put weight on (and after months of eating hotdogs and drinking Budweiser), I've finally gotten to my sweet spot, 125lbs!!


The only problem with this is that I realized last night after a heathly walk in the park that I am in the worst shape I have ever been in. I highly doubt that I could lift the bar let alone bench press 190lbs anymore.


My solution- drop $700 on an expensive coat hanger, errr I mean Bow Flex! This seems to be a good solution since I hate cardio and love lifting weights.

Plus, my clothes are dying for change of venue.... We'll see, we'll just see.....


3 comments:

Dan said...

You look gorgeous as you are! But let me know how that coat hanger thingie works out. (Have you ever tried yoga? Seriously. It's great at shaping.)

Oh ... you realize that women will hate you for having the problem of weighing too little. You know that right?

Hugs!

Enemy of the Republic said...

I've had an eating disorder since I was 17, so I have no sense of body image. I have noticed that when I get skeletal, women tell me how great I look, whereas men want to take me to Burger King! Dan does have a point.

Tulip said...

Ahhh Dan, you make me blush :o I have always wanted to try yoga, but I think my ADD will prevent me from really focusing on it.
EotR- I absolutely get what you mean. Men and women have different perspectives on what looks good. My boyfriend was my dietician (hotdogs and beer!)because he wanted to fatten me up. Women are much harder on themselves and each other when it comes to body image aren't they. ~weird~

Invitation! If you are a dreamer, come in, If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer... If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in ! Come in! ~Shel Silverstein