Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Oh The Glory of the Technology Age!


I LOVE text messaging. I work in an industry that requires me to spend easily 80% of my day on the phone, so the thought of having to be further glued to the phone in order to get a short message to a friend or loved one is sometimes flat out exhausting for me.
Low and behold, the telecommunication gods graciously bestowed upon us the gift of Text Messaging. It's short, it's sweet, it's inconspicuously non-commital. But beware, it CAN sometimes be dangerous as well.
Oh Yes, I said dangerous. I learned today just how dangerous it could be. Here's how things went down:
I send a text this morning stating "Hi Sweetie! Got plans 2nite? I'd love 2 spend sme time w u and I cd really use ur help on something...
Cl me 2day if u hve tme." (Notice the "text" lingo I've mastered so
well)
Now before I finish, and in my defense, it was 7:30 am and I hadn't had
any coffee yet. With that said I proceeded to select my recipient for
this message and hit send. No sooner had I sent this message out
did it occur to me that my autopilot had kicked in and I sent it to the
one person I text most-- Tim. Thinking nothing of it, I quickly sent him
another text telling him that, "Sorry that message wasn't meant for
you. Love ya babe!" And then I sent the text to the intended person-
my friend DeeLyn.
Say it however you want to say it: Doooh ( Homer style) or Dee Dee
Dee (Mencia style). Just say it--what a moron I am!
I soon get a call--of course--from Tim wondering just who it was that the text was meant for and just who was I calling sweetie. He did this of course in his usually jovial "joking" manner, but trust me, I "got it."
So, word to the wise. If you are like me and a. get up way too early in the am or b. haven't yet truly mastered text messaging, check the recipient before hitting send.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't text message anyone, mostly because I'm all thumbs and very impatient. God knows what I'd end up sending to my boss or my wife or somebody else. Yeesh. I shudder at the thought.

Tulip said...

Yes, it's a scary technical world out there. And this message, when sent to my sweet "girl" friend was completely innocent. Funny how the context changes depending on who's reading it :) Glad you made it over to my little world of worries!

Invitation! If you are a dreamer, come in, If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer... If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire For we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in ! Come in! ~Shel Silverstein